The 1913 U.S. Open was the first U.S. Open
that required a qualifying process. When the U.S.G.A. realized this, an extra
player was needed to round out the qualifying field. It is interesting to note that the
additional player (eventual winner Francis
Ouimet) was needed to fill out the
field of those trying to qualify. An ironic twist is that after the qualifying
rounds were completed there was an odd number of players resulting in
each day someone would have to play alone. In a bizarre coincidence a gentleman by the name of
Herbert Strong drew the short draw for both days of competitive open play and ended playing all
four of his U.S. Open rounds by himself !
Mister Strong a former professional golfer of the
Royal St. George's Golf Club in
Kent, England went on to become a golf architect full time designing
and building golf courses from Maine to Havana and as far west as Detroit
Michigan. As would seem appropriate one of his earlier and more notable projects
was the "quirky" Engineers Golf Course site of the 1919 PGA
Championship and the 1920 U.S. Amateur. Many early critics described the course
as a "bag of tricks".
His highest profile layout turned out to be the Canterbury CC in
Cleveland Ohio host to 2 U.S. Open Championships. (1940 and 1946). Other golf
courses of note bearing the Herbert Strong signature are Ponte Verda Club, Ocean
Course, Florida: Indian Hills Golf & Country Club, Florida; Saucon Valley
Country Club, Old Course, Pennsylvania.