1913 consumer safety notice about golf
The American Golfer February 1913
The United States Golf
Association; a Consumer safety notice has been sent out by the U. S. G. A.
to all Clubs belonging to the association: "Owing to the fact that serious
accidents have occurred in the last few years due to cutting open certain makes
of golf balls containing acids and other sight destroying compounds, the United
States Golf Association warns all persons to refrain from this dangerous
The American Golfer May 1913
The United States Golf Association has
done all in its power to bring to the attention of golfers, and to the public in
general, for that matter, the danger of cutting open certain makes of golf balls
containing acids and other sight-destroying compounds. Despite its warnings,
there have been two such accidents within the last month in the vicinity of
Boston, in each of which a boy was seriously injured; in one case it was feared
for a time that the boy would lose the entire sight of one eye and the other one
in part. Fortunately his case did not turn out so bad as at first feared, but he
will have some ugly scars.
Owing to these accidents, coming so near together,
the State Board of Health took under advisement the idea of introducing a bill
into the Massachusetts Legislature aimed to prohibit the sale or use of certain
imported golf balls. Undoubtedly such a bill would have been introduced before
the time of this writing had not the time for filing such bills under the
regular order of procedure previously passed.
To learn more about golf balls and consumer
safety, continue your search here......